More and more people are looking to natural health products as a way to support a healthy body. We are all interested in preserving our health. We try to eat right, get plenty of rest and exercise and use natural health supplements. With all our efforts on natural health, many times people overlook one area of health that can be a serious hazard to their health.

Products that your family use every day contain ingredients that studies have linked to serious health issues.

WHAT YOU DON’T KNOW CAN HURT YOU!

The solution is as simple as reading the labels on your personal care products and replacing them with safe ones.

One of the worst and most widespread of these dangerous ingredients is sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS). SLS is absorbed through the skin and retained in the brain, heart and liver. Studies show that SLS also affects other areas in the body, such as your child’s still developing eyes. SLS has been shown to retard the proper development of eye tissues, cause cataracts, slow the healing of other eye problems and even cause blindness. SLS doesn’t even have to get in the eyes to cause eye damage. It does as much harm when it is absorbed through the skin.

Many so called “natural” products also have SLS as an ingredient. They may have a label that says, “100% natural ingredients.” Just because it says natural, doesn’t mean it’s good to put on your body. Poison ivy is natural, but I sure don’t want that on my skin.

The intended use of SLS is as an ingredient car wash soaps, engine degreaser and garage floor cleaner.

According to the Material Safety Data Sheet for SLS, exposure can lead to a burning sensation, coughing, wheezing, laryngitis, shortness of breath, headache, nausea and vomiting. It also specifically warns that SLS may be harmful if absorbed through the skin and that prolonged or repeated exposure should be avoided.
(The federal government requires a Material Safety Data Sheet for any hazardous chemical.)

Whenever I write an article on toxic ingredients in personal care, I always get a few people emailing me with why I am wrong about ingredients in shampoo. Let me ask you, if sodium lauryl sulfate is so safe, why does the Material Safety Data Sheet say to wear rubber suit, goggles and gloves when handling? Why all the warnings about liver damage and a long list of other issues?

The dangers of SLS are no secret to the medical community. In fact SLS is used as a skin irritant in medical labs. Scientists use it to purposely harm the skin in order to test healing agents.

Sodium lauryl sulfate is used in most shampoos and toothpaste. Go to the grocery store and try to find shampoo or toothpaste that does not have sodium lauryl sulfate or sodium laureth sulfate in it.

Does your toothpaste have this FDA required poison warning label?

“Keep out of the reach of children under 6 years of age. If you accidentally swallow more than used for brushing, seek professional assistance or contact a poison control center immediately.”

You may have to search to find the warning because the companies try to hide it under the ingredients list. The warning may be on the box which you throw away and didn’t even notice it.

Did you know that the fastest way into the bloodstream is under the tongue? Nutrients as well as poison can be absorbed directly into the bloodstream through the dense network of blood vessels lining the mucous membrane of the mouth.

According to the PHYSICIANS DESK REFERENCE MANUAL, oral delivery is 10 times more efficient than anything that is swallowed. This is because ingredients enter the blood stream directly and are not filtered and broken down by the liver and digestive organs.

Do you really want poisons in the products you & your family use?

Besides the sodium lauryl sulfate, there is enough fluoride in a 4 oz tube of most brands of toothpaste to kill a small child. What’s worse is that scientists are now linking fluoride to dental deformity, arthritis and allergic reactions.

Another ingredient to avoid – propylene glycol, is found in most moisturizers and is commonly used as a humectant (additive to keep products moist) & a preservative. It sounds innocent enough but did you know it’s also a main ingredient in antifreeze, brake fluid, deicers, latex paint and laundry detergent?

It is supposed to make the skin feel smooth. While it may appear to moisturize the skin’s surface, it actually steals moisture from the under layers of the skin.

Propylene glycol is not only ineffective, it’s dangerous. It is derived from petroleum products.

The Material Safety Data Sheets on propylene glycol – warns against contact with eyes, skin and clothing. It also says inhalation can cause irritation of nasal passages. Ingestion can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Over exposure to propylene glycol can cause liver abnormalities and kidney damage.

Did You Know?

Over 800 of the chemicals available for use in cosmetics have been reported to the government as toxic substances. – The National Institute of Occupational Safety & Health

There are safe products out there. Young Living has a line of safe personal care products without the poisons, but added benefit of essential oils.